Wednesday, 3 June 2015

"IF YOU CUT US, WE BLEED CLARET AND BLUE!"


WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY

Ok, another week, another pound off - I do like what Kate said last week.."Plays have been written about a pound of flesh" Cindy is now well & truly on my case. She's hidden the bread, and when I asked where it was this morning she refused to tell me - so you all have an ally in your camp! Take a look below how amazing Bruce Jenner, from the Kardashian family looks now....


BEFORE



AFTER




BEFORE



AFTER


"CALL ME DORIS"


THE FA CUP


Ever since you boys could play with your dicks,  you've supported Aston Villa. I remember the first football match I ever went to - it was with you boys - when we were taken to Birmingham in a coach from Chipping Campden to see Villa,  by our Cleaner/Nanny Rose's husband Brian. Go Villa! Over the years, Scarfs, Shirts, etc sporting the recognisable Blue & Purple colours of your team,  have appeared on each and every one of you.




I was in the village last Friday and I came across this Villa fan called Graeme Kimberley who told me he was going to the match on the Saturday. The actor John Marquez who plays the Policeman in Doc Martin also turned out to be a Villa supporter. He was going to the match as well - thanks to a ticket from a builder friend who is working on Villa Player Charles N'Zogbia's new house. I later heard tickets were being bought for £1200.



 Here is John Marquez sporting his new iWatch from Apple!


REPORT from SANTA BARBARA

The game was due to kick off at 9:30AM PT. I had set my alarm for 8AM but like a child on Christmas morning I was awake by 7AM and ready to go! My housemate and I drove to the local market and I picked up two 30 racks of Busch Light beer (a beer flavored water drink the Americans created), two dozen eggs, chips, salsa, bread, and milk. 

When we got home I began preparing breakfast for my house and for the friends that I had invited over. Slowly they began to trickle in, unfortunately I was fairly outnumbered and four of the men sitting in my living room where draped in Arsenal colors. My girlfriend Andrea and I were the only ones wearing the Aston Villa colors with pride, however I had placed a Villa scarf over the bar that we built in my living room (known in the neighborhood as the ‘The Slab’). 



All 15 of my guests were full with eggs on toast and had a beer in hand—it was kick off time! Immediately I could see that Arsenal were going to be too much for us. They passed the ball superbly in the midfield and came at us with everything they had. Our defense was fantastic for the first half and Given put in a masterclass performance, but our midfield seemed afraid by the task ahead of them and lacked creativity and awareness. I almost forgot that we had Benteke on the field, a player who some teams have valued at 35M but I saw nothing worth the evaluation. 

With every goal the room fell more silent. The Americans who wore their Arsenal colors could see the pain I felt toward the game as I sat with my chin resting on my arms flat on the bar. They were brilliant about not rubbing salt in the wound. As the final whistle blew, and I struggled to fight back tears realizing it may be years until we get another opportunity to win a trophy, my friends thanked me for having them over and apologized for the result. We all shotgunned a beer outside and toasted to Arsenal’s victory. I will simply add that day to the many hard days I have experienced as an Aston Villa fan. 

REPORT  from SAN DIEGO



Jenny and I went down to San Diego last weekend to meet our new God son, Griffin. Jenny had done some serious investigating and found a traditional English pub in the area! It was called Shakespeare, and it had everything you needed and more! We walked in at 9am, 30 minutes before kick off and it was packed full of fans. We were amazed. Lots of Arsenal fans with a sprinkling of Villa supporters. 



We watched the game, drank beers and ate beans on toast, it was perfect, that is until Arsenal crushed our hopes and dreams. Villa were dominated and outclasses, so no real complaints, just very sad is all. But all in all we had a wonderful time visiting Elizabeth, Kyle, Jack and the latest addition to the family, Griffin! 



REPORT from BARCELONA


Caption for image: Elisa did a great job prepping me for the game with a set of cheap water colors. After a nice afternoon pregaming on the beach I stumbled off to a huge gringo spots bar to watch the final — the place was heaving with gloating Arsenal fans and I left with my tail firmly between my legs. 

To preface this — my brothers and I have been ardent Aston Villa fans since the dawn of time. We have cheered and wept for them for decades, and if you cut us, we bleed claret and blue. 

The FA Cup final between Villa and Arsenal played out over the weekend and it was a depressing affair. It could have been the most significant victory for the villains in my lifetime. We won the European cup in '82, three years before I was born, and since then have only won the League Cup — a great achievement, though a lesser trophy than the FA. 

Instead, it was a day of crushing disappointment. Not only did we lose, we were outplayed in every aspect of the game (after also suffering a recent 6-0 thrashing in the league) suggesting that this cup run was a one-off and we may not get another shot for some time. 

That said, it was an uncharacteristically exciting season for a Villa fan. There is no denying that we have been a consistently mid-table team for two decades, usually finishing firmly between 6th and 16th. This year was full of ups and downs, including a relegation battle and a cup final. We also witnessed the breakthrough season for youngster Jack Grealish — a future star who I hope we manage to hold on to for a few seasons. 

Up the Villa!



MAISIE'S ILLUSTRATION:

Our three-year-old son has huge tantrums every time we take his tablet from him. He is a bit of a handful most of the time, but coming up to bedtime, particularly, he gets angry and will be screaming and crying at us when we tell him to finish up on the tablet. He is really good in crèche but from the moment we pick him up he just whinges for his tablet and is never satisfied until we give it to him. He even lashed out at my husband the other day. We get cross with him but it doesn’t seem to stop the tantrums?

OMG! This just sounds like every child I ever had & then some!


DAVE - THE PORT ISAAC ARTIST


Dave Danson-Hill who made:


"The Rhino on the Hill"

Dave sent me some photos of his other works like The Elephant above.


He made this Lion for The Golden Lion Pub.


These he made for Port Isaac for Christmas.

DOC MARTIN


This episode of "Doc Martin" had the delightful Caroline Quenton in it. The last time she worked with Martin Clunes was over 17 years ago when they were both in "Men Behaving Badly" She played a wackey Vet who self medicates herself with drugs meant for her dogs. Martin saves the day of course,  but it also gave him a chance to work with his favourite animals - dogs!


"FLOATERS"

During the week I woke up with something very strange in my left eye. It looked like little specs of dirt that moved every time I moved my eye. When I went to see the doctor about it he told me it was very common: On Saturday I went to the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro to have an eye examination - all is fine. It's an age thing of course - and I only need worry if I start seeing flashes.

The vitreous humour is the gel-like substance which fills the space in the eye between the lens and the retina. It is primarily composed of water with the remainder being hyaluronic acid and collagen fibers. It is transparent which enables light to pass through while the gel form provides support to the retina and helps the eye hold its shape, essentially acting as a shock absorber.
However, if the vitreous gel begins to degenerate it loses its form and liquefies – a process referred to as syneresis. Eventually the vitreous can peel away from the retina entirely in what is known as a Posterior Vitreous Detachment (PVD). Without the stable gel form, the collagen fibers can collapse upon themselves, bind together to condense into clumps and knots, and become mobile. These fibers cast shadows on the retina and appear as spots, strings, or cobwebs in the visual field and are commonly referred to as eye floaters.

Now most of you are thinking FLOATERS? There's only one kind of FLOATERS we know!!
On Friday we went to dinner with the Slomans - the Farming Family who own the barn where we house our Filming Sets for Doc Martin. Dame Eileen Atkins was there as well and when I started to talk about "Floaters" she said she'd got them too. She then went on to say "Floaters" about 3 or 4 times by which the end of the table comprising of the Sloman bothers, Miles (24) Philip (18) Henry (15) and Cindy (54) were in hysterics and desperately trying to keep a straight face. IT WAS VERY FUNNY INDEED!


MY FRENCH FAN





10 comments:

  1. Great news-a pound is a pound! try for two. No carbs at night ( Gussie's rule) and it works. I was very touched by the Villa round up-I could feel the pain from here! It seems the wives and girlfriends are getting the new and improved version of how to cope with a Villa loss!!! I was very impressed by how lovely everyone was. I can't finish this comment because I have to make pancakes for the Eastern Block-I have no life-were I to write a blog it would look like this............................................ffffffffffffff.......................................................ffffffff......................................... The End. Love you to bits and back. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Another pound — keep it up Daddy, and on to bigger losses!

    Sorry to hear about your floaters, though glad to hear it’s not a serious issue. I daresay a few of your floaters have passed before my eyes before.

    Great Villa posts from Trav and Oaks. Some of Oakley’s sentences made me miss college so much — namely “the bar we built in my living room” and the bit about almost crying and then shot gunning a beer in the garden to cheer up. And of course the English pub in San Diego is called The Shakespeare!

    Loving the continued contact from Philippe — he seems like a lovely man.

    Mad love BD, and so happy that you are firmly back on track. Well done Cindy for playing the task master — it’s a hard job but someone has to do it!

    Gussie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of things to like this week! Congrats on the pound gone! I agree, let's make it two next time! I like Cindy hiding the bread, that's hilarious. Go Cindy!

    Cutest couple pictured goes to Travers and Griffin, crying over the loss outside of a pub. It was definitely a great place to watch the game, the beans were cold but luckily so was the guinness. I turned to Trav part way though just to appreciate that all the family all over the world was glued to the same game at that moment. So fun.

    Can we hear more about Doris? Are she and Caitlyn Jenner friends? Does she have her own blog? Proper Boob Job blog?

    On to the next pound!

    Lots of love,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another pound, yippee-aye-oh kye-yay! (Like anyone under 55 will understand that phrase...) Happy as a clam that the losses are slowly mounting. And Doris! Of course some of us who knew him when, have already met Doris on many occasions... I think Doris should play golf at the 100b marker... Love the reports from all around, and as ever, Maisie's illustration.
    Keep up the great work
    Evil 1
    PSThe scruffy dog to the right looks a little like Harry. Breed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're on it! Consistently losing a pound (or more) is great. You'll definitely manage 2lbs next week if Cindy has anything to do with it ;) Please could you ask her to come and hide the bread in my house. Another great blog. It's the highlight of my Wednesday. Lots of love and pride, Ems xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news Pops! Two weeks in a row with a loss, that's more like it! Won't be long until the Evil one is prancing around a golf course in a cute little number. And to think the blog was going to stop, thank goodness it didn't, if nothing else, I just need my weekly fix of that stud muffin Phillippe, hubba hubba.

    Loved reading the stories of the FA, won't be long until I'm shot gunning a beer with Oaks at his graduation. Also glad to know your floaters aren't a big concern, no one likes a floater!

    Cindy keep hiding the bread, and Dad keep up the wonderful blog and weight loss! Much love, Trav xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doris:

    You Go Girl! I have to say that I've been slack in helping you recently. I always think you will do it on your own. But I know, that I need to step in and be harsh. So, by the time you get home from work today, not only will the bread be hidden, but some other things as well.....salted peanuts, crisps, chocolates, etc... And yes, Ems, I can hide food in your house too! Ian, you have always loved to display things in the house such as booze and food. NO MORE! It's bad for both of us! You can do it Ian! And Yes, I said IAN! Snap out of it! Get with it! We may be going to The Royal Cornwall Show tomorrow, but NO WI Tent for you! Get out! Stay the fuck away! Great blog! So loved all the reports from the boys! And I agree with Jenny, best photo goes to Trav and his new God-son! Believe me, I understand. I love my Jayhawk basketball! It hurts and we still stick with them, don't we? And Jenny! At one point during the match, I turned to Ian and said the same thing! That the entire family was watching the same thing on TV at the same moment! If only in the same room! Damn! Mais, as always, big praise! As they say in BB, "Go, Go , Go for 2"! You can do it, Dorie!

    Love (You know I love you) , Cins xxoo

    PS: The two big ladies from next door (the ones that look like Mrs. Doubtfire) just dropped off a few dresses for you! Should I be worried! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Comment from DAVID HINCHLIFFE:

    COMMENT
    Well 'Doris'...now that I'm arrived in London I'm on your time zone and it looks like I MIGHT be the first to comment. Shame about Aston Villa. Mthats why ive always found it easier in sport not to be too committed a fan -- there's a lot more lows than there are highs. Of course my boys Joe and Tom think that is an Australian heresy. Everyone has to have a team or a player to be eternally devoted to if they're to be a proper Aussie. I guess that makes me an improper Aussie. I am however a committed fan to that installation artist who does the rhinos, elephants and lions. As I think I've mentioned in emails to you, I'd be happy to help him out on his next project -- is he open to the idea of a giant boxing kangaroo!? Congrats on the pound off mate. Every pound counts! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah baby! Another pound- we are onto something - now on a roll! Keep it up. You look amazing in the first picture- your face has transformed, really looking great. I am so amazed and proud at how well you have done and the new man you have become. I know you are going to be able to keep it up and keep shedding those pounds. I can only imagine that arriving back in Cornwall was tough to adjust to as there are so many temptations but it really does look like you have now gotten back to the swing of things and have your shedding mojo back - good work! Ahh not long now until I will be with you and looking forward to many walks and hikes! I can't wait- I myself need to step up a gear in preparation for this year of adventures ahead so we can both encourage each other to be healthy once I am over...I am so excited to crack open those oysters though I have to say I have been dreaming about popping up that hill to that gorgeous shop! Great blog- sorry boys for the loss. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took a second today to read through your comments as they cam in, and glanced again at the French suitor's messages about 'happynes.' I was reminded of the most redeeming gag in that movie "Hector's Search for Happiness" about the heavy french accented woman asking for "apeeness"... And I laughed out loud. Phillipe, you scoundrel. Happy Thursday xx

    ReplyDelete