Wednesday, 27 May 2015

"YANKIE-DOODLE-DANDY!"




WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY

Another day - another 1lb Off - Hells, Bells, Hallelujah - Whatever - AT LEAST - it's in the right frigging direction for once - Cindy took the above photo - at least my ankles are looking good!.


AMERICAN FRIENDS


For the past week we've had a couple of American Friends from Los Angeles staying with us. Lisa who has been to Port Isaac before and Cynthia who came for the first time having visited both Bath & Stonehenge pryer to her arrival. Lisa made Cynthia watch as many episodes of DOC MARTIN before she came so she knew what she was letting herself in for - bless her! Their visit has been pretty much been a mirror image of Roger's, so I won't repeat all the places & things they have done - just a few knew ones!


THE DOC MARTIN TOUR 


For the last couple of years John Brown, one of the Fisherman's Friends Boy Band has been taking tourists around the village of Port Isaac showing points of interest, both about the village itself and also the locations where Doc Martin is filmed. Cindy, Lisa & Cynthia took the tour this week, which starts and ends outside John's girlfriend Wes' Deli "May Contain Nuts". 



Our Gang with a few extra people took the Tour. Here are some of the high spots of their tour:


The Boathouse

In 1867 the first lifeboat came to Port Isaac there was nowhere in the village for a lifeboat because the village was all built up. So the Boathouse which is now a shop was created. In 1924 the Boathouse floor was covered up with slate. But it still houses paraphernalia from the original Boathouse.



The Lifeboat being brought from the Boathouse to the harbour for launching.


Doc Martin's House


The Doc's house used in the filming existed in 1867. The house is currently owned by an Australian.



The Old School House


The old school used in Doc Martin  opened in 1877.  It was closed as a school in 1976 because of the caves underneath. It's now a hotel and restaurant called The Old School.



The fisherman of Port Isaac bring home about 400 lobster and crab on a daily basis. John Brown was himself a fisherman as are his brother's Julian and Jeremy.






The Fisherman who's boat, "The Mary Dee" provides fresh crab and lobster on a daily
basis for his wife who runs their cafe "Fresh From the Sea."













The village originally had it's own fresh water spring and had about four water pumps. The villagers came with the buckets to fill up water until 1941 when the mains water was brought to the village.



The Village Hall.


The Village Hall started as a Temperance Meeting Room.  This was to stop the men trading their fish in the pubs and getting drunk and not getting home until late because in the Temperance Hall the women served the men with watered down ale.




The Bird House was built in 1768 and has five sides. It was built by a cobbler and none of the  windows or sides match. It has three floors and each floor has one room only joined by a spiral staircase.




About 800 people live in Port Isaac with about 400 people living full-time all year round



The Moat House.

The Moat House in the harbour,  where Cindy and I have a regular table (Number 101 outside) to entertain our friends (!) is one of the oldest buildings in the village where merchants used to gather to do their trading.



After the war The Methodist Chapel, which was established in 1777,  fell into disrepair and it is now a Pottery, Showroom and Cafe run by Billy another of the Fisherman's Friends.





In 1978 Squeezy Belly Ally was named the smallest road in the world by the Guinness book of records. 



"HIGH SOCIETY"


My friend Rupert Young (Sir Leon in MERLIN) has just opened playing one of the leading men in the Broadway Musical "HIGH SOCIETY" at the OLD VIC THEATRE in London.


Angus swears that Rupert is the son I always wanted because he went into the Acting Profession and none of my own children could be bothered to. I rest my case. I've just spoken to Rupert and he tells me a lot of papers gave it 5 stars Reviews - Kevin Spacey couldn't keep his hands off him on the First Night and Hilary Swank saw it recently. I've booked tickets for us to see it on Thursday the 29th July after we finish in Cornwall. The Mishcons told me they saw it recently and that Rupert was jolly good!


THE RHINO
(Up Close and Personal)


I persuaded "Car-Park-Kenny" who has a handy four wheel drive Golf Buggy to take myself and Cynthia to the top of the hill overlooking Port Isaac where the installation of the Rhino stands proudly.








The great thing about being so close to it is you can appreciate the 3 D Effect. Apparently the last installation that the Artist made was a Pink Elephant! Wow!

OUR LOCAL TAXI


Our Taxi Firm is operated by a bit of local rough eye-candy called Mark who can also be seen up a ladder doing a few odd jobs shirtless with his six-pack in full view.


I particularly like its name: "Port Isaac Shuttle Service"


Want to go to Bodmin? Why don't you "Take The PISS (!!)


FANS


 Fans seem to be getting older - a spritely 92 no less!


......or more of them - all one family!




.....or with bigger dogs - this one could have been a baby grizzly bear!


JOE'S NEW HOUSE

A couple of years ago Joe Absolom who plays Al, my son in DOC MARTIN decided to move his family down to Cornwall. So he put his London house up for rent and then rented a house in a village near Port Isaac called Trebarwith Strand. He did this primarily so his young children could attend the schools down here. Since then he and his lady Liz have decided to buy a house.


On Sunday we went over to see his new house which is a four bedroomed old Farm house still in the same area as he previously rented.



Joe in his new kitchen as the new Squire of the Manor!



LETTER FROM A PHOTOGRAPHER FRIEND
(Until recently Rod Ebdon was the Stills Photographer on Doc Martin)


Dear Ian,

I hope things are going well for you in Port Issac, needless to say I am sad that I am not joining you all this summer. I don't know why my services were not required this time, what I was told did not ring true but that's show biz. 

My spirits were lifted recently by an exhibition entitled "Lost Photographs of British Magazines." I worked for The TV Times for a number of years, it was once a great Magazine, the new owners were not interested in keeping the photographic archive and dumped some of it in a skip at the back of the office. The rest went to the British Film Institute, there it has spent the last 26 years in their basement. They wanted to dump what was left, but because the copyright is still owned by I.T.V. they had to offer it to them. Thank goodness the new owners wanted it, they realised they had a priceless archive on their hands it dates back to the beginning of I.T.V in 1955 and have decided to use it. I went to the opening night, I was able to have a look at the original negs which I haven't seen since 1964! It was such a wonderful feeling to see them, I thought they had been lost.

I hope you were able to use the shots I took of you for Spotlight. 

You were always so welcoming to me on visits to Cornwall, and very helpful when I had to take photographs of you - a big thank you.

If you have a chance - could you please pass on my best wishes to the guys.

My Very Kindest Regards.

Rod.



Rod with one of his "LOST PHOTOS". This time one he must have taken of Peter Sellers 


LETTER FROM BARCELONA

Hey Daddy,

We finally made it out to Barcelona's premier pitch & putt course, and it didn't disappoint. Sweeping views of the city and surrounding hills, gorgeous weather, and 18 holes full of variety and features. Can’t wait to play it with you!

Lots of love, 

Gus and Elisa.




1. Balls on the Brain.



2. In the Zone.


3. A Drop Ball never looked so Good.


4. Palm Trees and Water Features. Not bad for a Pitch & Putt.


5. I made her go in there to fetch her ball. She won't be slicing her shot from now on.


6. Lining her up. Feet not quite parallel to the shoulders. Work to do.


7. Picnic at the 9th.


8. Both on the Dance Floor in one. Lizzy's ball is the white one. I was furious.


9. A Toast to the Winning Ball at the Club House.




DOC MARTIN

27 INT. BERT’S CAMPERVAN, RUTH’S WOODS - DAY 5/1 1903 27

A mad science experiment involving pressure cookers, buckets, tubes and copper pipes spitting steam and liquid along with dozens of empty glass bottles. 


Breaking-Bad-Bert has finally arrived.



JOHNNY COWLING



On Monday night we all went to see the Cornish Comedian Johnny Cowling perform. He is without doubt one of the funniest people I've ever seen. This is about the third time we've seen him and he gets  funnier each time. Why he is not more of a National name I don't know but he seems to go around Cornwall playing venues like our Village Hall. He is also the warm-up guy for the TV Comedian Alan Carr. God forbid you go to the toilet during his Act - he will wait for your return and is then merciless about embarrassing you with a torrent of questions about what you've just been doing. His interaction with various members of the audience is second to none. I laughed out loud for 3 hours excluding a 15 interval break - and all for just £6. I found out he walked away from the evening with a measly £300 -( tragically) as he is worth so much more. All I know is the 80 so people that saw him had a terrific evening.


MAISIE


(This week Irish Independent Illustration)

"I have a bit of a dilemma with my thirteen-year-old daughter. Since she started in secondary school she has become really close to one girl in her class. Ordinarily I’d be delighted that she has a close friendship, but this girl seems really possessive and clingy. She always insists that it is just my daughter who comes over, or that it is just her who comes to our house. My daughter complains to me that she “isn’t allowed” to be friends with some others in the class even though she wants to be. I’d like her to drop this girl, but whenever I suggest it my daughter gets cross with me."










7 comments:


  1. A loss — get in! Great news that you are back on track, so happy. Now let’s get a 2 pounder in the bag yeah?

    Smashing blog this week — a nice little tour around town, and a reminder of how much there is still for me to see in PI. Hard to beat Port Isaac crab sandwiches — I remember you calling ahead and picking a few up for us from Fresh From the Sea that we ate while golfing on the water’s edge— what a great day.

    Nice to see Rupert is finding success — he must make you so proud. I’ll take a look online to see if I can find any videos of Johnny Cowling performing.

    Again, so happy you are back on track. Onward and downward! Love you, Gussie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another pound gone! Way to go Ian, you're back on track now! Thank you so much for the vicarious tour through Port Isaac! That was phenomenal. Please tell Lisa and Cynthia I say hello.

    Cutest picture this week might go to your 'son' Joe, it's not a couple picture, but anyone with a disco ball in the kitchen has to be the right kind of person, so kudos to him and his lady.

    Really happy you're back to melting away, looking forward to the next milestone!

    Love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for a pound lost! Great blog. Loving your fans and their f'ing giant dogs. Very keen to see High Society, it was one of my childhood favourite musicals. Love you, Ems xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let loose the fireworks, proclaim dancing in the streets, we're back in the loss column, YAY! A pound a week means 52 a year, means, oh shit, I'll be playing golf before Xmas?! Crap... Does this mean I have to start shopping for pantyhose and spanks? (I mean, I will want to look my best...)

    Great blog, loved the tour, love seeing Maisie's weekly, and what Gus is up to... Just a little worried of 'Bert' mixing chemicals... I remember you in chemistry, NOT... Didn't you study something really difficult instead? What was it now - oh yeah, Divinity... Puhlease...

    But back to the loss - I'M VERY VERY HAPPY FOR YOU, MANY CONGRATS!
    (And again, thank you for the book.)
    Evil 1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pops, not only are you keeping up with the blog but we have a loss this week! Very proud. Again the blog does not disappoint, you are getting mighty good at this whole blogging business. Your "son" Joe must make you so proud. Now if only the rest of us could stop disappointing you! Love the pics of Gus and Lizzy, lovely looking course, can't wait to come visit. And Bert does Breaking Bad has made my day. Keep up the fantastic writing and pictures, and so happy for you that you are back to loosing. Much love, Trav

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Proper Job" Iansy!!! A great start to getting back into your groove! I know that with a bit more effort on both our parts, we can get you back into the swing of it! I LOVE that Gussie and Lizzy are golfing. I'm thinking maybe we can be a family of golfers, amongst other things! Like Travy, the photo of "Breaking Bad Bert" also made my day! Hilarious! And just can't wait to see Monger getting into some spanx! Priceless! Keep it going sweetie!!!

    Love, Cins xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Loss! Yes- and keep it up! Sorry I have been quite this week. But I love the amount of detail in this weeks blog- brilliant. Great to see Gus and Lizzy's day out. That sculpture is pretty amazing- why a Rhino? I like it. It reminds me of that sculpture I got last time I was there. Keep up the good work shredding those pounds! I feel like its going to be a good week next week!! See you soon XXXXX

    ReplyDelete