WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
Bit of a disaster this week 2lbs ON. Struggling somewhat down in Cornwall. Can't seem to get my head in the right gear like I could in London. People coming to stay and eating out quite a bit are not conclusive to dieting. I know some of you will be disappointed by this, Kate has already said she won't comment anymore until I lose and God knows what THE EVIL ONE will say. So until I turn things around I'm going to put a halt to the Blog for now. When things
improve the Blog will be back!
"BEAM ME UP BRADDERS!"
Our Pasty Shop Owner Friend, Nicola Bradbury was involved in a daring training exercise at the weekend. She was airlifted from the sea and winched aboard a Royal Navy Helicopter.
Once she was safely aboard the Helicopter she was winched back down again and collected by the Lifeboat below. This was a very tricky exercise as both the Helicopter and Lifeboat were travelling at speed and had to be synchronised together. I heard later that although Nicki likes
Lifeboats she seriously hates Helicopters!
These photographs were saved from a Video that my friend Peter Mishcon (Angus's Godfather) who was staying with us at the weekend shot. We were in a carpark overlooking the bay and the exercise took place quite a way out to sea. He used a magnification of 300% and the camera was static on a cement post. Nice job Peter! Great Job Nicki!!
PISCES SECOND COOKERY BOOK LAUNCH
Last Friday in St Peters Church in Port Isaac I was asked to open the World War 11 Exhibition which commemorates the lives of all the Port Isaac people who died in the war. As well as this - there was a launch of the second Cookery book that had recipes from both Dame Eileen Atkins and myself:
THE TIMELINE OF THE EVENING
The Port Isaac Second Cookery Book
This Recipe "Fire Alarm Salmon" was "borrowed" from The Evil One - thanks!
With the GULLS SINGING GROUP!
"Signing our Recipe Pages!"
THE GULLS with their songs from the "40's"
THE NAMES OF THE PORT ISAAC FALLEN DURING WORLD WAR 11
Whilst the GULLS sang their final song I read out the names of all the people from Port Isaac who had died during World War 11.
PETER AND PENNY MISHCON
Angus's God-Father Peter Mishcon and his wife Penny came for the weekend.
On the Saturday they spent the afternoon sitting outside the Mote Restaurant watching all the comings & goings in and around the harbour or "The Platt" and counting everyone who had donated a £1 photo for the Lifeboats - I am delighted to say, that as of this afternoon, (Tuesday 12th May) I've reached my Target of £1000.
Whilst Cindy waited for Roger, her father, to arrive from Chicago, The Mishcon's and I went to a lovely 15th Century Pub built by stonemasons called St Kew for Sunday Lunch before they headed back to London from the train station at Bodmin Parkway. As a bonus for the Weekend
Peter, who is incredibly practical and can fix anything (!) mended my Photo Printer. Many thanks Peter!
CINDY'S DAD ROGER
We are all delighted that Cindy's Dad Roger, was able to make the long ,journey from Hutchinson Kansas to spend a short period of time with us in Port Isaac. With this possibly being our last Series I'm just very glad that Roger could sample some of the "Doc Martin" delights first hand. I know a lot of loyal watchers of the show back in Hutchinson (thanks to reminders from the Franke Family) will be very jealous of Roger's trip.
"So where's Doc Martin's Surgery and Bert's Restaurant Roger?"....... " Just take a look behind me Luvver!"
"Oh, Sorry Roger - I'm going to need a pound for that photograph with me!!"
FROM PORT ISAAC TO BARCELONA.
Nestling between those two marvellous Spanish plates of Pasta & Asparagus are two delightful little Salt & Pepper pots made as Boats - bought to remind Gus & Lizzie of their recent Cornish
trip.
LETTER FROM NEW ORLEANS
(Travers)
Last weekend I went to New Orleans for a bachelor party for a college friend who is getting married to his UCSB college sweetheart in July. I had never been to New Orleans, and man was it a fun time. Cindy gave me a list of places to see and things to do, so while some fragile boys where sleeping in every morning, trying to recover from their hangovers, my friend Chris and I explored the city (albeit sometimes not feeling to chipper!). The evenings were rowdy and spent exploring the bar scene, Bourbon St is a total trip:
(A beer in America's oldest bar, 1722. Lafittes Blacksmiths Bar located on Bourbon St.)
wild, fun, disgusting, smells horrid, but great for people watching! There were 12 guys who made the trek across the country. Things got wild and weird!
(Selfie next to the Mississippi)
The food in New Orleans is incredible, so so good. I went to an old school diner, and all I could think about is how much Pops would love this place.
(Best omelet of my life.)
Dad has always been drawn to the traditional diner, and this is the best one I have ever been to by far. All the wait staff talk in creole, super fast, never write down orders, yell at people taking too much time, and the food, holy shit I was surprised, AMAZING.
(An incredible old school diner in New Orleans, Dad you would bloody love this place! You sit down and the guy goes "hi baby, what we eating today baby, chuchu, lets get this training rolling baby, what we eating baby, coffee baby, chuchu!". My favorite place I went to.)
It was also incredible to see the Mississippi river for the first time in my life. So many street performers, live bands playing jazz in the streets, so fun.
(Reggae next to the mighty Mississippi)
As you can imagine there is lot of stories that are not quite suitable for this audience, but there are plenty of funny stories to be shared when we all grab a beer next....It was the first time in the south for me, and it is incredible how different it is to life in California. Three days was not enough to explore this weird town, I am looking forward to going back. A huge thank you to Cindy for all of her recommendations, I tried to take a picture at each spot she suggested, although I am not a very good photographer!
Thanks Travers - sounds like an amazing time!
LETTER FROM PORTUGAL
(kate)
I have taken very few pics-I had no feeling for the house I flew out to buy but I have had an inspirational time in Lisbon-I am love with it.
(Oaks and I fell in love with this piazza a few years ago)
(Washing Lisbon style)
(View from Maxi's Flat)
(Lisbon)
I plan to move out and rent a divine flat for a song and carry on teaching to survive and have time to write and think and live a life again.
London has sapped me and I have to work 8 hour days 7 days a week to keep the balls up in the air.
Now Oaks is done there is no need to live like that and I can have a new adventure.
So Lisbon here I come.
I am going to hand in my notice to the landlords and take the plunge!!
Thanks Kate - sounds like another great adventure around the corner!
MAISIE'S LATEST ILLUSTRATION
We have two boys, aged three and six. The six year old is very wilful and oppositional. That, in itself, is a problem, but I am as worried about how my husband responds to him. He gets so angry and ends up roaring, shouting and threatening our son. He has grabbed our son, roughly, several times in the heat of the moment. My husband does know he is doing wrong, but he just blames his own upbringing, as his father was a violent man who terrified the whole household. I don’t know how to deal with things when it gets volatile, but I worry about them both
Maisie's other news is that she has recently been selling her Artwork and has so far reached 1500 Euros - fantastic job - well done!
APPLE
Last Tuesday I drove to Exeter to have a ONE-to-ONE session to learn more about iPhoto.
Whilst I was there I had another session learning about:
Whilst I was there I had another session learning about:
Well, how could I resist one - being such a huge Apple Fan, having been Introduced to Apple by the EVIL ONE all those years ago.
They've sold out of them at the moment - but it's on order and will hopefully come in July when I will review its wonders - watch this space.
COMMENTS




























Noooo don't give up the blog!! You can't do that! So happy roger is over. Travs trip looked great. Love the cook book.and the airlifting! Please don't give up- change things around a bit?
ReplyDeleteI agree with Maisie, don't give up papa oso! only 2 lbs that means very little compare with everything you’ve done so far. I really hope the blog comes back soon!
ReplyDeleteMuchos besos y abrazos xx
Please don't stop the blog! It's wonderful and we all love it. Don't give up on the weight loss either. You've done so well and we're all so behind you and proud of you when you lose weight. With two proper (600 cal) fasts a week, you can still socialise and lose weight. DO NOT GIVE UP. I know it's not easy but it's so worth it. We love you xxx
ReplyDeleteDON’T STOP THE BLOG! We all want to support you as you do this and know it can be very difficult — please don’t retreat into your mole hole until some undisclosed time in the future “when things get better.” Work on getting those 2lbs off again, or 1 lb, or back to no loss no gain — any progress whatsoever over the next week and let us know how it goes. There were always going to be setbacks along the way — don’t let them derail you in this way, please KBO.
ReplyDeleteSo glad that Roger is out! And Trav’s trip to New Orleans looked wonderful, though I think i might have to email him and get the R-rated version. Love you, G x
I agree 100% the whole point of the blog is to encourage you to loose wieght and feel supported. I know I said I wouldn't write but I was really worried when you said you might stop. You CAN do this Neicie and next week you will have a loss. Say NO-don't give yourself the prize of a snack. Don't go down the rabbit hole. Keep being honest and open and brave and determined. Next week aim for a loss of a pound and hit the target. xxxxxxx
ReplyDeleteWho Loves Ya Baby? We All Do! Don't Stop The Blog! Don't Stop Believin'! Just kick it up a notch! I know I haven't been extremely helpful. I've been watching my own weight climb a bit. We need to re-focus and stick to the two days at 600 calories. We just have to choose the days and do it. And you are much better when you are writing down what you are consuming. And I'll say it again. You really are in a good place. You have lost a solid 70 pounds and to be able to maintain that after Christmas and Cornwall is great. We just need to aim for the next 10 off. And then the next. And the next. And then...............it's time to see The Evil One in drag on the golf course of our choice! Great Blog! Very exciting to witness Bradders beaming! She is my hero! A lovely night at the church honoring the fallen during WW2. So good to see Tose and Flax and have some laughs! Very excited for Kate and her new adventure! I might just have to see if I can help with the move. Really enjoyed reading about Trav's New Orleans weekend! Great city! Glad you had fun! We have to meet the kids there sometime! Another wonderful illustration from Mais! And Congrats on selling your work! Bring it on! So glad Rog is here and witnessing first hand the adventures of Port Isaac and everything "Doc Martin". I loves ya baby!
ReplyDeleteLove, Cins xxoo
PS: SAVE THE BLOG! SAVE THE BLOG!
Save the blog! I agree. Aside from tracking your health and wellness, it's the closest thing to sitting around a table getting caught up with everyone that we have! Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteCutest picture goes to Ian, Cindy and Roger, so happy to see those faces smiling together in Cornwall! I can't wait to hear more about Roger's visit. Please give him our love from SF.
Kate's email from Portugal is great to read, I'm happy there's a spot in Lisbon that captured the imagination the way the house in the country did not.
Lots of love,
Jenny
WTF!!!?
ReplyDeleteStop the blog? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR TINY MIND?
Firstly, the whole idea is that knowing you'll be writing each week surely acts as an encouragement not to gain -- and while you gained 2 lbs this week (bad boy, see me in my study please....) without the blog things will get worse not better.
Secondly, yes I and others criticize when there isn't a loss, but because we're cheering you on. Keep in mind how much you have already achieved and the blog has been a major part of it.
Thirdly, it must be very very hard on location, with visitors and temptation -- but hey, this isn't an anomaly, THIS IS YOUR LFE, and in large part the life of an actor (being home between jobs, snacking away nervously waiting for a part; then being on set, constantly around free food) has not been easy on the McN waistline. You cracked it while not working, now you're learning to cope while working too. AND YOU CAN DO IT.
Fourthly and finally, as you can see from the comments, we all LOVE the blog. You've created a wonderful weekly newsletter and 'water cooler' (ie the place where we all gather). You cannot give this up!
So, now that we've got that sorted, I look forward to next week's blog which will, I'm quite sure, report a loss,
With much love,
CM xxx
the Lucifer of Los Angeles.
There is nothing else to say. Your family (EVIL ONE included) have spoken. Don't you dare give up. No way, no how. You have come too far, and have done too much good stuff, to let yourself go. So NO NO NO. You are not giving up. Why would you? There is no reason. We love you, we adore the blog, we are so proud of you, don't let a week of gain get you down. Now get your butt up off that chair, go for a walk, play some golf, eat healthy, don't touch the sweets and cream teas, and carry on doing what you have been so great at doing. We are ALL expecting a loss and a great blog next week. Fuck the 2lbs, don't you dare give up. We all love you too much! Trav
ReplyDeleteNeicy daaarling.... Great blog this week and the reactions of family and friends MUST persuade you to continue. What a wonderful, loving report from godson, Gussie. Says it all…and with so much love. Your special family and friends feel the same, so please let’s have none of this defeatist nonsense. Blog on and share your travels, stories of visitors, family and friends, and your gentle journey to sylphdom. Missing you both still….Peter xx
ReplyDelete