WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
Well, I have good news & bad news. The good news is I have a loss this week. The bad news is it's only 1lb - I know, I know, it's not what some of you want to hear, but hey, I have to start somewhere,
and in the words of the more sympathetic amongst you (!!) "A loss is still a loss - it's better than a gain" I rest my case - as I reach for another Cornish Pasty......just kidding!!
A VISIT FROM ANGUS & ELISA
Angus and his delightful Paraguayan Girlfriend, Elisa made the train journey to Bodmin Parkway to
come and join me in Port Isaac for a few days this last weekend. They will soon be heading to sunny Barcelona to start a new life - so it was a bonus that I got to spend some quality time with them both. Angus and I have been enjoying playing golf on a Pitch & Putt course close to East Sheen - not too far from my flat in Brentford, so I was eager to find a similar course for us to embark on here in Cornwall. My Google search came up with a course near Newquay - about 40 minutes away. So last Friday we set off, in the rain, for:
As you can tell from the above photograph - we were not disappointed. Armed with Crab Sandwiches, Local Burts Cheese & Onion crisps & Elderflower Fizz - which I'd purchased from a local Deli in Port Isaac called "Fresh from the Sea" - we set off on the first of 18 holes - in the rain. It soon became clear that although Elisa had never played Golf before, indeed, never even swung a club before, she was in fact a complete natural.
It wasn't long before she was actually beating both Angus and I at various holes along the way. So much for my misgivings about whether she might be bored trudging around an English Golf Course in the rain - she was loving every minute. The rain came and went - but the course, as well as being picturesque with views out to sea - was also quite a challenging one as well, with quite steep hills up and down to encounter. But by the end everyone agreed it had been an excellent excursion. One hopefully to be repeated.
The rest of the weekend was spent in the usual local haunts, with trips to the Mote Restaurant, the Golden Lion Pub and St Kew Inn. Angus introduced Elisa to a local ale called, "Proper Job" no less, which went down a storm. Storm being the operative word as the rain was pretty relentless all through out the weekend. Still it gave them a chance to catch up on a couple of BAFTA DVDs - "Still Alice" and "Unbroken". The former being much better than the latter according to Gussie.
All to soon it was time for them to return to London on the Sunday Night Train - along with a care package I provided for the journey - 2 cans of Fosters Lager, 2 Pkts of Crisps, A pecan pie we never got around to, a tub of Cornish Clotted Cream and 2 Cornish Pasties from Nikki B's Pasty shop - Oh, and the Sunday Observer Newspaper for good measure.
Before they left I got Angus to record instructions he had given me earlier on what to do with the Chicken Carcass - which had been left over from Sunday Lunch. As you can see from the photograph above, I have followed his instructions to the "T". I was just about to put this into the bottom Aga for what I am hoping will turn out to be an outstanding Chicken Soup, Stock or Gravy!
Update: I had CHICKEN SOUP for supper last night with chunky bits of celery, carrots, & onion.
The chicken broth was absolutely yummy! Thanks Gussie!
PODCASTS
Whist Gussie was with me, he very kindly introduced me to the "World of Podcasts". What a treat! And something that I'm kicking myself I've been missing all these years. How great for a long car journey or as he showed me - listening to Alec Baldwin interview Julie Andrews, whilst peeling the carrots! Alec Baldwin has a regular Podcast ("Here's The Thing With Alec Baldwin") interviewing people from various walks of life - I've just listened to one with David Letterman, fascinating, and have downloaded several others - amongst them - Lena Dunham, Lorne Michaels, Stephen Daldry, Kris Kardashian Jenner and Michael Douglas. Another one is a true life Murder case over several episodes called "Serial: This American Life". This reminded me of one of those True Life Murder Mystery TV Shows like "48 Hours". Travers - I remember you talking about something like this that you listed to on the radio?? Could this be it??
THE JINX
THE LIFE AND DEATHS OF ROBERT DURST
Travers! Cindy reminded me of this HBO Show that you mentioned a while ago. I've just managed to download all 6 episodes on iTunes and so far have seen the first one. It has all the makings of a really great murder mystery. A headless torso, an incredibly wealthy New Yorker, an ex-wife gone missing years ago, a Hollywood Movie made on the subject, sleazy lawyers - what more could anyone want.
Thank you & thank Cindy for reminding me of this gem!
Update: I saw another couple of Chapters/Episodes last night: "Poor Little Rich Boy" & "The Gangsters Daughter" - it just gets better & better!!
MY FIT-BIT WEEK
(A good 7000+ Steps on my Golfing Day!)
COMMENTS
I have a huge thank you to say to ALL OF YOU! I had a FULL HOUSE of COMMENTS last week for which I am so grateful. It means a lot. So please keep those Comments coming - Good & Bad. God Knows - we've got to be objective - just to mix things up! What is touching- is that THE BLOG was missed & brought back by popular demand!! - so, hey guys, we love yah, we really do.....xxxx











OOHH! Am i first!!?? Proper Job ! Loss is a loss- starting somewhere! the trip to the golf course sounds fun- well done lizzy!!
ReplyDeleteI have seen the Jinx- it gets so much better- the first episode doesnt really show it . love you x
I have respect for a loss of any kind. I'm on a fast day today (much needed) and can believe in this hungry already (10.40am) More golfing and less eating is your mantra - the weight will fall off! Love Ems
ReplyDeleteA pound is a pound -entire plays have been written on the subject!!! Brill well done. Nothing better than Gussie's chicken soup-keep it in your aga always. Much love xxx
ReplyDeleteDamn...I thought I was the first to comment this time. Obviously being on the UK timeline helps the UK blogs pot followers. Podcasting and golf...well, I can say Meg is a serial podcaster so when we catch up with you in Port Isaac in June you can no doubt compare pods you've both 'casted'. As for golf, my last endeavour was with Joe in Hot as Hades Moree...and I think joe and I managed to set a new record (andNot In a good way!). It was the 50th anniversary of Australia's Freedom Ride (think 'Selma' but in a rural Australian setting) and they had a golfing day for the Freedom Riders. Joe and I were the only whites on the course and all the indigenous golfers kept passing us chuckling as they hit their shots square down the fairway. I guess it was a fitting celebration...watching two white bastards humiliating and debasing themselves in sandpits and water courses. I doubt I'll be picking up golf clubs again a hurry. Well done on the 1lb chum. It's the Right Direction..and I don't mean the Boy Band! Love from Orstralia
ReplyDeleteOnward in the right direction! Everyone loves the blog and I'm so happy you agreed to come back. Certain themes are coming together here, do I foresee an Ian McNeice podcast? Interviewing family, friends, and colleagues? I always imagine your voice narrating as I read anyway.
ReplyDeleteTrav and I are going backpacking this weekend with some friends on the coast, and we'll be out of range, so I hope everyone has a happy Easter! Don't be tempted by all the chocolate bunnies.
Lots of love,
Jenny
Dad -
ReplyDeleteYou should never apologise for a loss - keep it up.
Thank you so much from both of us for such a lovely weekend - the golf, the ale, the absolutely beautiful venison at St Kew's in…it will all live long in the memory (though I will try and forget having my arse handed to me on the putting green by Elisa).
Really glad to introduce you to a new recipe and to the world of Podcasts.
Stay strong and on course.
Cheers and gone, besos y abrazos,
Gus and Elisa xxx
"well a loss is better than a gain," "a pound is a good start" -- NOW JUST STOP IT! You snivelling sycophants! It's our job to help strip this man's fat off with the enthusiasm of Angus taking a chicken down to the bone! A pound? Seriously? One good pee and you've lost 2 pounds, hell I've heard farts loosed that probably weighed several ounces.
ReplyDeleteAnd was I the only person who noticed that packets of crisps appeared TWICE in this blog?!? To paraphrase Tom Hanks, "THERE ARE NO CRISPS IN DIETS!"
Glad to hear you discovered podcasts (I thoroughly recommend This American Life) and isn't Alec Baldwin's show great? Something else on HBO you might want to check is the documentary GOING CLEAR - the best exposé yet of Scientology.
BUT! I suggest less sitting down to podcasts, and more walking on the beach, listening to them.
A pound.... seriously? Don't make me come down to Cornwall and snap a catchers mask on you...
Evil 1
Ps Gus and Elisa are seriously adorable.
Xxx
Oh, Monger! Please come to Cornwall and snap a catcher's mask on him!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad about the one pound loss, but I seriously thought it might be an April Fool joke and that perhaps you had really lost five pounds. I guess the joke's on me! So glad you are out walking though! That's great! Loved hearing all about Gussie's visit and just love the fact that Elisa kicked your asses on the course! Can't wait to listen to the Alec Baldwin podcast! Sounds amazing! And loved the fact that Jenny mentioned you and Podcasts! See! Now you know what I was trying to show you how to create your own podcast ages ago! I'm not the only one who thinks this would work! Keep up the good work! Glad you are out and about! Don't give up, just challenge yourself a little bit more. Make some additional goals for yourself! Have a great week! And in the words of Jeremy Bolt, "Well Done!"
Love, Cins xxoo
Great blog this week. So much to like. Nice to see you lost weight this week. Next week lets hope it's more. Wish I could have been there to enjoy the golf! And yes the world of Podcasts is a delight, Serial is what I had mentioned to you. It is gripping listening. I think you are going to really enjoy The Jinx to, I loved it. He is so creepy! Can someone win the lottery so I can quit my job and spend the summer in Port Issac please. And again thrilled the blog and weight loss is back!!
ReplyDelete