WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
Nothing has changed this week - but like I said last week I am waiting to return to London to resume a serious approach to my diet regime where I will be able to focus a lot, lot better with fewer distractions. It won't be long now as we are on the final 3 weeks of the Schedule. Enjoy the Blog:
THE SCREECH OWL SANCTUARY
A few of months ago a man approached me in Tesco's in Wadebridge and said he was the part owner of an OWL SANCTUARY. The Sanctuary was near St Columb about 20 minutes outside of Wadebridge - he said he ran it with his wife, Caroline and that their Surname was Screech (You really couldn't ask for a better name if you're running an Owl Sanctuary!!) He said it was their 25th Year Anniversary of running the Sanctuary and would I come along and host their Celebration Party. Cindy and I showed up this Saturday to meet the Owls!
Tom & Caroline Screech.
With all their Helpers & Flight Instructors
With Rupert the Siberian Turkemanian Eagle.
A Barn Owl
There are about 3 Flying Sessions with the Owls each day.
This is "Gandalf" - Cindy's favourite.
I love this one's outfit & socks!
5 week old babies in the Hospital Wing.
Some of the other animals they had - an Emu called Doris.
Cindy got to feed this Roger the Racoon with some dead baby chicks - nice!
Philip & Brenda (Below)
I must say the Meerkats remain my true favourites and for £140 you can become a Sponsor and name an Owl or animal, have a plaque, etc and I thought my son, Joe Absolom in Doc Martin and I might name a couple of Meerkats BERT & AL!
As I was leaving the Sanctuary the owners asked if I would become their PATRON - apparently their previous patron was now serving a prison sentence for child abuse and several of their Sponsors had requested that Rolf Harris' name be taken off their headed note paper!
THOSE BLOODY ORSTALIANS
For the past few days we've had David & Meg Hinchliffe from Australia. These are the parents of the Australian Joe - who was one of Angus's best friends in Chile when he was working on the Santiago Times. We first met up with them in Brisbane where they both live and then in Prague where we took Angus for a surprise Birthday Present.
David is a professional Artist with showings in Galleries Worldwide - so the above photo depicts him as he sets off for a days painting around the village of Port Isaac which had him painting on peoples rooftops, on Breakwaters in the harbour, wherever - however an episode involving a gust of wind that happened during the afternoon prompted a Stephen King Style Sentence: "No one knew that this would be the last afternoon that David would ever be wearing that hat." (It was sadly blown into the sea!)
We managed to snag them two prime Extra parts in a DOC MARTIN Scene where the Doc & Louisa were having a dinner in a posh restaurant.
The Shot starts on David & Meg and pushes through to the 2 principles. Mega - with thanks all round to the Crew for this Coup!
A cuddle on the Set.
Meg & Cindy in Padstow
A lovely walk in Port Isaac.
........and another stunning one on the cliffs.
With the American Public Television Crew (Team America) from Boston responsible for giving the US - Doc Martin via PBS. Last year myself and Joe Absolom went to Boston to promote Doc Martin for PBS.
DOC MARTIN
Finally all the souvenir shops in Port Isaac are selling BERT MUGS and yes! the good news is we get a cut of the merchandise - so kerchink-kerchink - let those pennies roll in. And hey Kids, guess what's going to be in your stocking this Christmas!!
WINSTON CHURCHILL
Winnie is coming back - when I finish in Port Isaac I am going to make 4 new AUDIO BOOKS for Big Finish Productions as Churchill:
THE FISHERMAN'S FRIENDS
On Monday I got invited down to the St Austell Brewery to join in the launch of the new Fisherman's Friends Shanty Singer's new album "Proper Job". They provided a very swanky black Mercedes to take David, Meg, Cindy and myself down to the Brewery where I introduced the UK's Oldest Boy Band to an invited audience. They then sang all their hits for about an hour and half. A few Pasties & Pints later we tottered home!
St Austell Brewery is a family run concern. Here I am with a Mr Hicks head of St Austell Brewery who is a relative of the first Hicks who founded the Brewery.
MARTIN CLUNES
This week we had a party to celebrate not only Martin Clunes' OBE but Doc Martin's 50th Episode. The Mote Restaurant in the harbour put on a mega bash with endless crab and lobster. The Elex-Lighting-Rigger boys celebrated heavily with "Happy Birthday Tequila Shots". It was a school day- so the next day's shoot was a tad difficult for everyone.
Martin will eventually have to meet with the "Old Baked Bean" to receive his OBE. We congratulate him on his award.
LETTER FROM DUBLIN
(From Maisie on leaving Stoneybatter & Ireland)
"Dublin has been good to me for the past seven years but it's time to move on- seven years is a long time to be on an Island!
Maisie's favourite Local Pub called Walsh & Co.
Maisie's illustration of the Pub.
I said good bye to all my friends on Saturday evening and then of course...being Maisie...left final packing up for Sunday that stretched out till the early morningy! I had a nice break in between to meet friends in Stoneybatter for a cold Guinness at Sitric Picnic- an annual event where the Stoneybatter community comes together, listens to music and catches up.
The Red Door - 3 Murtagh Road - Stoneybatter.
I'll miss 3 Murtagh Road and all the people that came with it- Stoneybatter will always be there - but happy to move on!" xxx
Maisie's Illustration
My fourteen year old son has totally slobbed out into his summer holidays. He is normally a great kid and he was very focused in school, as he had a really busy routine, between schoolwork and sports. But now that he has no school he is just lazing in bed, on his phone all the time, and when he does get up it is simply to go out to his friends. We’ve had two big rows already about his laziness. Even if he got up earlier and showed some interest in the family I’d be happier. How can I avoid fighting for the summer?
EMILY
(PORT ISAAC 2017)
There is a possibility that we may be back in Port Isaac in the Spring of 2017 to make Series 8. This depends on a number of things. The ratings have to be good when Series 7 airs on ITV in September/October, whether the Producers can come up with new Story-Lines for the main characters, The Doc & Louisa, and finally if Martin Clunes still wants to make it. Reading between the lines and keeping an ear to the ground - there is a positive vibe around BUT nothing is definite!
But if that is the case & we do return both Cindy & I would like Emily & her Family to be the FIRST people we invite to come and stay and for them to have FIRST CHOICE on dates to suit them. Whether it might be the EASTER WEEKEND & EASTER WEEK or a SCHOOL HALF TERM BREAK please pencil that in your diary now.






































You didn't also mention the Orstralians have arrived...and thankfully they've finally gone! We had THE BEST TIME (apart from 3 of us getting a 24hr bug which we're sure now we got from Ric Stein's fish and chips at Padstow...they were still nice though). Love this week's blog and the owl story..a hoot! We're thinking of dropping in to Wormwood Scrubs to see old Rolfie Harris to let him know his patron's baton been passed on and is in good hands. Seriously, it's been a great time in Port Isaac and all the many places we visited, the lovely meals, the great talks, the jokes (F... O..) etc etc ETC, but most of all we've just enjoyed seeing you both in your little Port Isaac Kingdom, doing what you do best -- acting well and acting up even better. Finishing off with the wonderful Fishermen's Friends was a real treat. THANKS SO MUCH TO YOU BOTH.
ReplyDelete...forgot to mention, LOVE Maisie's drawing of the pub!! D & M
ReplyDeleteKiller blog this week bid daddy! And glad to hear you are managing to not gain anything while the diet is on pause.
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful photos of the owls - like I said, I'm sure that, after everything that has happened, losing his patronage of the sanctuary to you is what hurts Rolf the most.
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see Joe's parents down there - I spoke to him on Skype yesterday and we chatted about how awesome it is that you four have struck up such a strong and international friendship.
Maisie's drawing of the pub is gorgeous, as is the one of the lazy boy on the sofa who I am pretty sure I recognize!
I am so, so, so excited to hear there are whispers about a 2017 season, and more sunny lunches at Kew, pints of Proper Job, and the comfort of Valencia House may yet be on cards.
You'll be getting an email from us for next week's edition - watch this space.
Lots of love,
Gussie & Elisa
P.S. Where did you find that photo of the Queen looking like an LGBT flag?!
Papa Oso, please save a mug for me for Christmas, it's not that I want one it's that I neeeeeeed one (to quote Bella)! And an owl, please. Besos, Lizzy x
ReplyDeleteOh hello! First dibs on a hols in Port Issac - yes please. Crossings fingers for an 8th series. We'd be honoured and would love to visit. It had better be Easter really, perfect for some 'front bunny, back bunny' action. No, it's not a euphemism! Anyway, back to the blog - it's been a good one and I can't wait for my mug. Love you, Ems xxx P.S Don't gain any weight!!!
ReplyDeleteWell, not unhappy that's there's no loss, but happy that there's no gain - but don't expect this benevolent, compassionate of The Evil One to continue when you return to London.
ReplyDeleteGreat Blog but my heart sank a little when I realized that the next two Xmas gifts will be mugs and Dr. Who audios... Can't wait he says with sinking heart.
Another fab drawing from Maisie and I'm glad to see that the door has opened for you to replace Rolf as Britain's kindly uncle... Of course when it happens I'll be lining up to sell my story to the tabloids: 'Neicey - The Pervert I knew: Cannibalism and other nasty stories of boarding school life.'
Loved the owls.
In haste,
Evil 1
x
Being here in Port Isacc and seeing you makes me not worry about the slight pause in diet as you are looking FAB! So great to be here- an amazing bog this week- the owl story tops it all and Cindy's photos are great! X
ReplyDeleteComment from PETER MISHCON:
ReplyDeleteNeicy daaarling
What a fabulous blog this week.
Best of all was to be reacquainted with David Hinchliffe, whose paintings you showed us when we visited you and whose work impressed us both so much.
Big problem here in NHG though… Pen very jealous that they had roles as extras on Doc M set. AND eating!! Don't know how I'm going to calm her down.
Owl sanctuary was beyond anything else you've written about. Just brilliant and I loved Gussie's comments about Rolf.
The reformation of Fisherman's Friends is also such great news.
Lovely to know too that there might be a 2017 season for you both to look forward to. Wouldn't that be great?
Tons of love from me Peterx
Comment from PENNY MISHCON:
ReplyDeleteDarling Neicy
I won't dwell on your lack of discipline. Just because you're a local celebrity it doesn't mean you have to over indulge in Cornish treats! However you are very good to the owls and The Fisherman's Friends so just this once we'll forget about the lapse!
Love the Bert mug! Can I order a few dozen please?
Lots of love to you and Cindy
Flax
xxx
Fab blog-thrilled you are taking over from Rolf Harris-who needs a CBE! I am at one with Penny Mish's comment. So thrilled Ems coming and some tired old parents of a direpuputable friend of Angus's get seconds. I am still waiting for my invitation and I can only assume that you fear the presence of Lady Mary Pallicer may somewhat out shine an Emu called Daisy-in this you would of course be right! BIG love-can't wait to see you both in three weeks. Hugs and kisses from Abruzzo xxxxxx
ReplyDeleteFab blog this week, Bert! Loved having the Aussies here with us! I shall never recover! In fact, I live with you and Maisie is visiting now, so definitely will never recover! Thoroughly enjoyed everything about the owl experience. If only I had a Hooters t-shirt in my wardrobe! Really wish Gandalf needed a sponsor, but love the idea of Bert and Al. Look forward to welcoming the Roberts gang in 2017. Finger's crossed! Really loved seeing Maisie's red front door! Lots of memories! And the illustration of the pub was awesome! Love you loads and know that you will be dropping the pounds once you hit London again. Love, Cins xxoo
ReplyDeletePS: LOVE the photo with you and your "Bert" mug! xxoo
ReplyDeleteI hate being late to the comments section, I agree with everyone! What's left to be said? Except, keep maintaining your hard work, keep making people smile on set, keep posting adorable owl baby pictures, keep hosting wonderful friends, keep coming back to Port Isaac (!! come on Martin Clunes!) and keep buggering on!
ReplyDeleteThe pix make me miss you and Cindy so much. Cutest couple is Cinders and Burt holding mugs of Burt in Burt's uncle/daddy van. Appropriate choice, as Britain's new kindly uncle...
lots of love,
Jenny
What a pair of hooters! As usual, a smashing blog. Love the pictures of you and Cindy. And already looking forward to my stocking, that mug will be a great addition to the Burt Large magnet that's already on our fridge. Every time I read your blog and look at the photos it makes me so sad, gutted that we weren't able to make it this year. Although, the fact that it might come back again is wonderful news.Crossing fingers in a big way. Also no gain is huge, as long as you can maintain and eat healthily it will set you up nicely for when you get back to London. Miss you and Cindy and the rest of the family so much. I need to come home soon! Much love, Trav x
ReplyDelete