WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
I am happy to report a modicum of success this week - a 2lbs loss. Perhaps a little more exercise has resulted in a tip of the scales in the right direction. Lets hope so anyway....
"SHOUT"
The Lifeboat went out the other day on a "Shout" to save a "Cocker-Poo" (A cross between a Cocker Spaniel & a Poodle!)
The dog had fallen 92 Feet off a Cliff near Port Gaverne which is the next Cove along.
This was a successful venture with the dog being safely reunited with its owner - but probably needing therapy! When I told Nicky Bradbury, the Pasty Shop owner, a member of the Lifeboat crew, that there had been a Shout saving a dog, she yelled "Not me my luvver, won't catch me going on a Shout to save a f...... dog, been bitten too many times, wanna leave that to the newbies!"
GIFT FROM A FAN
This drawing of Joe Absolom, (who plays my son, Al in Doc Martin) and myself, was sent by an
American Lady. I've had a number of pieces of art over the years and it's always flattering that someone has taken the time to draw something like this.
SPRINGTIME!
I think daffodils are my favourite flowers - that gorgeous vibrant yellow is a delight! Having the house full of them, at the moment, is a relatively inexpensive treat.
SIMONE & COREY
We had a couple of friends from Australia stay with us last weekend. Simone is a presenter for a Sports TV Station that specialises in Greyhound Racing and Corey organises the maintenance for Greyhound Tracks. They were filming in the harbour on Friday so Simone managed to grab a photo with Martin Clunes which made her day.
WALK TO PORT GAVERNE
Cindy and I did a lovely walk on Sunday - down the hill from Port Isaac to Port Gaverne and then out onto the headland over looking the sea.
FIT-BIT STATS FOR THE DAY
You can tell it was a good Fit-Bit Day by the 7,155 Steps and the 3.19 Miles I managed to do on the day. We dropped off at the little local pub on the way back for a "stiffener" before climbing back up the hill to Port Isaac.
ST MINVER CHURCH CONCERT
THE MAGNIFICENT AK47
On Sunday night Cindy and I went to a Concert at the St Minver Church, a village about 15 minutes from Port Isaac - There was a Group of about 30 Male Singers who had come from Wiltshire. They were known as the Magnificent AK47 - this was because AK stood for their village - Ashton Keynes and 47 was their average age (but it was more like 61!) They were hysterical, very funny with songs ranging from Cowboys, to Wagner, to a wonderful one about a "Man and his Shed!"!
The Cowboys!
TAUNTON SCHOOL
Travers & Angus - do you remember going to my old School - Taunton School in Somerset - where you attended an Old Boys Reunion Dinner? Chris Monger and I gave an after dinner Speech to the Old Boys Society! (Yes! That was the evening that Gussie scored with one of the underaged girls from the school - who travelled up to stay with him the following weekend in Kensal Rise - Happy Days!!) Well the Castle Hotel, where we all stayed, have sent you both an invitation - please see below:
Just let me know if either of you would like to attend - cheap at the price!!!
MAY CONTAIN NUTS
Wes, who runs a lovely little Deli in Port Isaac called "May Contain Nuts" wrote in her book (see above) that a lady came into her store a whilst she was serving and told her that she was called Tamsyn. She explained that she had shared a house in North London with me years ago and that the Land Lady's name was Ruth! All true - the year must have been around 1980 and I was working for the Royal Shakespeare Company in London.
TRACTOR RALLY
On Sunday Morning I came out of the Co-op Super-maket in Port Isaac and this long line of Tractors passed me by. Apparently this was a Rally organised to raise money for a Meningitis Charity. They looked amazing because there were so many of them.
NEWS FROM BARCELONA
I got an email from Gussie in the week saying they were working hard looking for an apartment. Because of Spanish red-tape it looks unlikely that they will be able to rent their own place just yet and will have to settle for sharing a room in a house - like they did in Santiago. They have found an area called GRACIA which they have both fallen in love with. Apparently it is similar to the movie "Vicki Christina". Here are a few photos from the area:
Watch this space for updates on their progress.....
MAISIE
"My fifteen-year-old son just told me that he has been in regular touch with a fifteen-year-old girl for the last few months. The problem is she is in the USA. She has asked him to travel over to see her and he has asked me to help arrange it. I don't think that pursuing this relationship is realistic and I'm fearful that he will allow a few years of his life go by for the sake of something that maybe will never come to anything. Should I be more definitive in dealing with this - tell him to end contact? Or should I let things take their course?"
TRAVERS UPDATE
CONGRATULATIONS TRAVERS!!
GOLFING
Billy, the Potter (who is also a Fisherman's Friend Shanty Singer) agreed to lend me some of his Golf Clubs known as Rescue Clubs - they are a version of the wooden clubs - but made of steel. My friend Robert had told me about them and I was eager to try them out. When I went to his pottery to pick them up - I found this note waiting for me:
This afternoon I went golfing with Cindy and to my surprise these new clubs were a great success!
I was able to hit the ball a lot further. The only downside - I lost my FitBit!! I've contacted Jenny McNeice and she is going to see if Customer Support will give me a new one! Here's hoping! Cindy managed to track my steps using her FitBit - 8035 steps for the outing! Good walking!!
FITBIT NEWS
FITBIT UPDATE
When I came downstairs this morning and sat down to work on MY BLOG - I noticed that the FitBit which I thought I had lost on the Golf Course yesterday - was in fact attached to my computer charging away. Hurrah! Sorry Jenny, I've sent you on a false errand in the hope of a replacement. I must say I'm extremely glad I've found it. Since Travers & Jenny gave it me last August, I've worn it everyday. Wearing it has become second nature & the badges above are proof of my success. (We won't mention that little incident with the washing machine, shall we.....)
COMMENTS



















.jpg)











Oh joy the first to comment gets sparkles! Great blog and HURRAY for losses. Love the pics of you and Cins on your walk. Life in PI looks idyllic and I am soooo happy you are having the summer together. I shall have to do something remarkable this week to get a mention on the blog! Off to Itally next month to look at a house that I don't have the money to buy but Macawber like I am confident ' something will turn up'....ha ha. Keep going with the losses my angel and LOVE having your blog back. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteYes! A proper loss and proper job! And more and more action standing on two feet it seems - great stuff.
ReplyDeleteI had a little look online to learn more about "rescue" clubs or "hybrid" clubs as they are called by their generic name and came across this line on Wikipedia regarding standard clubs:
"The long shaft of a fairway wood also requires lots of room to swing, making it unsuitable for tighter lies."
A good thing you switched tools then.
A beautiful piece once again from Maisie, and Trav … what's this job stuff? Please let us all know!
If i'm in the area dad, I'd love to join you in Taunton!
Again, so happy at the loss this week - keep it up Big Daddy.
Love to you and Cindy,
G x
2lbs is a very respectable loss - well done you! Great blog. I look forward to it every Wednesday. Lovely photos of you and Cindy. Can't wait to visit Gus and Elisa in Gracia, Barcelona. Love Ems xxx
ReplyDeleteRing the church bells! Let roosters crow from wherever they roost! Stop the presses! Alert Facebook! Yes, Big Daddy is on a roll again! Many congrats - and I'm sure it's the walking. You guys look great. Very envious that I'm not there - a very happy Evil One
ReplyDeleteA HUGE congrats on the loss this week. Great stuff! You and Cindy look so happy on your walk. it seemed like an action packed week with lots of getting out and about.
ReplyDeleteThat invitation is hilarious! I remember that trip very fondly including the ghastly club where Angus met his very under age lady!!
Really proud of you this week Pops, keep up the great work, and I really can't tell you how great it is to read your blog and catch up on all of the stuff you get up to. Always makes Jenny and I jealous. Much love, Trav
Woohoo, congrats on the loss. That's a nice clip, remember that just 2lbs a week gets you big wins month over month!
ReplyDeleteCindy and Ian win for cutest couple picture of the week, even with that stunning fan portrait. She clearly spent her talent on your likeness, if I was Joe I might not feel flattered?
I'm very glad you found your fitbit and that you get to keep your serengeti badge. I still haven't heard back from support so who knows, maybe you'll have another one coming to you :)
I hope you have a great week and weekend, enjoy those daffodils! They always remind me of Casa de Pops&Cindy.
Lots of love,
Jenny
Flex:
ReplyDeleteSo, so happy that you dropped TWO pounds! FAB! Especially in Cornwall. And I should know. I told you that I would diet on those two days with you, and instead, what do I do? I've had Pimms, Passion Fruit Mojitos, chocolate, crisps, clotted cream, lavender ice-cream, etc... I'm not extremely helpful, am I. You have done these two pounds on your own Buddy (as Donny Osmond likes to call you)! Love the blog! Love you! So wish that everyone on the blog list could be here with us! And as that man in the village told you last week, "You're Magic"!
Love, Cins xxoo
Yay! A loss- well done father! So thrilled to see Cindy with you- I love the selfies! You look amazing and more slender that than amazing drawing a fan made of you. Oh god- poor dog trying to top himself! So happy he is ok! Love the blog this week- there's loads that has gone on - Congrats on the job Trav! Thats brill- and Barcelona looks amazing. I miss you all! xxxxx
ReplyDelete